Have you always wanted a car with a manual transmission and are wondering if you should go ahead and buy one? If so, here are three questions to ask yourself before buying your dream vehicle with a 5-speed in it.
Are There Advantages to Driving a Car with a Clutch?
There are some advantages to driving a car with an automatic transmission versus a manual one. Here are just a few:
- Some drivers can improve their fuel economy by 15 percent
- The car might be harder to steal because only 7 percent of Americans know how to drive a stick
- A car with a manual transmission can cost $800 to $1200 less than one with an automatic
For those who don't know how to drive a stick, but still want to take advantage of the benefits a manual transmission has to offer, it is much easier to learn on the newer vehicles than the older ones.
How Long Will the Clutch Last?
Some people might choose not to get a car with a manual transmission because they don't want to worry about having to get the clutch replaced. While there is no definite answer about how long a clutch will last, there are some things that can help give it a longer life. It mostly depends on the type of vehicle and how the vehicle is driven.
Some things that can be done to help extend the amount of time the clutch will last include:
- Shift the car into neutral when coming to a stop so that you can take your foot off of the clutch
- Take your foot completely off of the clutch when you're not using it (some people like to let their foot rest on it)
- If you have a choice, take the flatter route rather than one with more hills, so you don't have to shift as much
If you follow the above advice, you could expect to get at least 50,000 miles out of your clutch before needing to take it in for auto repair services.
How Much Do Clutch Repairs Cost?
If you do need auto repair services for the clutch on your vehicle, the cost will vary. Some people can make the repairs themselves as long as they have all the parts that make up the clutch which includes the pressure plate, clutch disc, and throw out bearing. Clutch kits cost anywhere from $100 to $800. Having the clutch replaced can cost anywhere from $400 to $3,000.
For more information, contact shops like Oak Hollow Tire Car Care Center Inc.